It is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain anonymity and privacy on the Internet: search engines, websites, and social networks collect information about users and use it for commercial purposes. Any visitor to the web leaves a digital trail, followed by numerous advertisers and target markets. We will tell you what data is collected about us by the most popular international social network Facebook, how the information obtained is used, and what methods you better use to protect against "big brother".
What data does Facebook collect, and how does it use it
The social network stores information about the behavior, interests, and habits of registered users:
- personal data specified during registration;
- location and IP;
- subject of content shared with interlocutors;
- characteristics of subscriptions, visited communities, and accounts;
- information flow viewed on a social network;
- data shared by the user during communication;
- parameters of the device used (smartphone, tablet, laptop);
- user-behavior outside Facebook.
Facebook uses this data for two purposes:
- to meet own needs: app improvements, end-to-end analytics, account privacy protection, anti-fraud, and anti-spam;
- to transmit it to advertisers that tailor ads based on the tracked data.
How to find out what social media knows
Facebook maintains the policy of transparency and does not hide from users what information it knows.
To view the list of interests compiled by the social network based on the analysis of human behavior:
- go to Settings & Privacy;
- select the Settings sub-item;
- open the Advertising tab;
- in the Settings bar, select the Categories section.
Based on the interests, the algorithm selects an ad for a specific user. By removing the interest, you exclude irrelevant ads from the news feed and sidebars.
If you delete all your interests, you won't get rid of the ads completely; ads will continue to be displayed, but their subject matter will be abstract.
Ways to influence the collection and use of personal data
One of the most pressing questions of FB users is to ensure anonymity and protect personal data from advertisers or security services.
Depending on your needs, you can:
- hide your place of residence and work (via Settings);
- change the IP via which you access the Internet;
- use a proxy server to hide information about the user and his search queries.
You need several accounts; when you use FB for commercial purposes, promotion, for example. Such users are identified and get banned due to information the social networks use; it is hard to unblock the profile.
How to avoid blocking when working in multiple accounts
Users who communicate a lot in social networks or have several active profiles can protect their accounts using a proxy server for FB. With the help of it, you can:
- view any pages and groups;
- set up an automated mailing list;
- boost likes, comments, or subscriptions;
- communicate in multiple chats without switching;
- protect your data from hacking and scamming;
- visit the social network from anywhere;
- hide unwanted ads when using Facebook at work, etc.
A proxy server is valuable for both those who conduct business on the Internet and regular enjoyers of online chatting.
Our company specializes in developing proxy servers for various categories of users in more than 50 countries. With our server, you do not have to worry about security and privacy: for data transmission, we use a secure tunnel that does not allow information to leak to third parties.